Thursday 31 July 2014

Tour de Bretagne wrap up

For the first time this season I think I can honestly say that I loved every minute of Stage 3, the 129km road race. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed many other races this season, but this was the first time that everything just seemed to flow and feel good and I was totally loving racing! After a bit of a rocky start to my season, finally things seem to be coming good again!

Stage 3 was billed as the toughest stage of the Tour de Bretagne and it didn't disappoint! There was even a wee "mountain" thrown in there that took everyone by surprise! It was this that saw a decisive split in the race. Hitting the sharp incline after a fast descent was met with crunching gears and a fair few shrieks as girls dropped their chains or struggled with the ascent. Around 30 riders regrouped at the top and rode on towards the finishing circuit. It was a fairly steady pace on the undulating roads and I think everyone was taken by surprise when suddenly the group swelled in numbers as a large group of riders caught us. This large group remained to the finishing circuit and as soon as we reached the "circuit arrivé" sign, the memories from last year came flooding back. This was the same circuit as Stage 1 from the 2013 tour. Far hillier than the profile in the race manual would have you believe, the group gradually thinned out as the demands of the circuit took it's toll.

Hitting the flyover climb on the last lap, a few riders attacked. The group lined out but eventually came back together with around 3km to go. At this point position was key as there was a fast descent followed by a 90 degree right hander that took you onto the finishing straight with 500m to go. We were lapping riders at this point so a few sketchy moments before we hit the straight for the sprint finish. I managed to hang on with the group and finished 32nd, a result that moved me up to 39th on GC. It was all smiles after the race with most of the team having had a good race and pretty buzzing! 

Final stage and we headed for the coast. Team morale was good, despite tired legs. Race underway and pretty soon there was an attack. This was closely followed by another from Louise from Epic-Scott, who bridged to the initial attack. Another 4 or 5 riders made the breakaway and they opened up a decent gap. We were all hoping Louise would stay away, a very brave move going so early in the race, total respect! 

I think the finish of this final circuit was the toughest!! A hard climb of 300-400m, which might not sound a lot, but when your legs are screaming and your lungs are burst, trying to sprint uphill feels like you are riding on a double puncture!! Going into the penultimate lap, the yellow jersey hit the front and ramped up the pace on the climb. I couldn't quite stay with this though, which was pretty disappointing given there was only 10km to go. Crossing the finish line, I knew I'd given it everything I had though, so had to be happy with the result. It was such an ace week riding with the Epic-Scott team, thanks guys (Phil, Alex, Sam, Molly, Hannah, Anna, Mel, Louise). 

Looking back to last year, this was big progress! I finished 40th on GC in comparison to 79th last year and by a much smaller time margin from the yellow jersey this year compared to last. Ok so 40th might not sound all that good but the way I rode each stage and the confidence that I can take out of the whole race is really going to help me for the future! I'd love to return next year!!

After a week and a bit back home, I'm on my travels again, this time to Stafford for the Women's National Series. Next weekend it's the RideLondon GP, with none other than Marianne Vos, exciting times!!

Until next time, thanks for reading!

Jools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment